Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Restless Hearts

I have to admit, I have been putting off writing anything on here. Not just here, but anything in general. What can I possibly say that is worth telling everyone? 

Yet, insomnia is a powerful thing. As my legs restlessly remind me of the sleepless nights that will be lying ahead of me, my heart is restless as well. Restless to share and be creative again.





When I was in college, a roommate and I were determined to use up the creative energy that we were not expending in our studies. She made beautiful works of art and I was incredibly jealous of how she could show her creativity with ease. I cannot create art to save my life. I once drew some impress kung-fo fighting stick figures, but that is where my talent ends. I had to find my own outlet for creativity.

I have found, though, deep down in my heart, that creativity is an incurable itch. I can ignore it for days, weeks, and even sometimes a month at a time. At the end of the day, though, it will come exploding out of me in poorly strung-together verses, and ridiculous DIY- projects that never turn out as great as the pictures promise. It comes out in overly-ambitious recipes that take me hours longer than I thought and leaves my poor husband starving for most of the night.



Most of all it invariably, and best, comes out in writing. I find peace in letting words flow off of a page and the itch is satisfied for a time. And I came to understand that creativity is not locked down to one art form and it is a necessity for every person in life. I have had people tell me that they are not creative, then go on to perfectly design and decorate a room where I could only see four walls and a floor, deliver a moving speech, or make the most amazing chocolate chip cookie.

Being creative is relieving that restlessness in your heart and making something come alive.



Where is your heart restless today? What is in need of your creative touch?


No comments:

Post a Comment