Monday, July 20, 2015

Fortitude



This is what has been inspiring me as of late. Not graceful, materialistic or pretty. The women and moms that came before me did not have time to worry about a perfectly decorated home, losing baby weight or creating fun activities for their little ones. Their whole life was one DIY project. If they couldn't make it, grow it, or fix it, they had to do without.

Looking over tips and tricks lately that Depression-Era women survived off of, it amazes me how little it takes to actually survive. Too often I get sucked into the mindset that I need more to do and be more. I have to have that new gadget, outfit or accessory. It is not a luxury, it's a necessity. It takes the stories of these women's fortitude to remind me that I need to take a step back and find out what is really important. 

Because these moms did not just make sure that their children reached adulthood. They literally raised the greatest generation. 

And they did it all without Baby Einstein, Cheerios, microwaves, or even the simplest toy.

Through example and precept, they taught their children the importance of working hard, making do, and contentment and striving both at once. Most of what children learn is caught, not taught, and no one did it better than these people.

So each day, I have been striving to teach my son by example. Instead of complaining, procrastinating, or dragging my feet, I have been working hard to wake up early each day and do what must be done with joy. I have been taking pride in my work and learning how to make do instead of wanting more. Not that I have been doing it perfectly, or that I don't use electricity or go to the grocery store, but I have been trying to channel their fortitude and strength each day.

Last week I learned how to make my own laundry detergent and dish soap. I started making our bread from scratch again. I was amazed how good it felt to accomplish these things rather than just buy it from the store. 

Because life is not about what you buy and own, but rather character and attitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment